Re: distribution upgrade question

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:27:07 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimp@rdslink.ro> wrote:

> I think many from this list recalls the yaird issue which made an unbootable initrd. I got "hit" directly :) Though I learned to *always* keep a second kernel installed it still counts as a break.

Good point, and I had forgotten about that little episode... it hit me too. But I really consider that to be in a different category -- anything that changes the kernel of your OS is  a critical upgrade and requires special treatment. A kernel change is one of those things I watch for in my upgrades... I guess my point is that if one is careful and watches what they do, breakage should be rare or better. And certainly, keeping an old kernel around is a good idea. The system doesn't "break", you just get an unusable kernel... nothing to prevent you from falling back to the older one.