Re: kanotix HD installation

Hey... Really thank you very much for all of your replies! espesically the link you posted there are quite helpfull:) I'm going to try testing version.

But as I tried to download the testing package CD images I saw
[alpha] [arm] [ hppa] [i386] [ia64] [ m68k] [mips] [mipsel] [ powerpc] [sparc] [s390] [ source]
in the URL http://www.us.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/ under official images section.Can anybody give me some explaination what all these name means. Does this affect my dual-boot-system installation? I'm using Dell Inspiron 2200, which package should I choose?

Please Bear with me who is indeed totally new to Debian.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Rocky Ou wrote:

> Hey list,
>
> I'm a newbie to linux. By googling and friends recomendation, It seems
> debian will be my best choice. Did anyone do the Kanotix HD
> installation before? If so could you give me some advise? I want to
> have a dual-boot system on my Dell inspiron 2200 laptop.

If you want Debian, it is best to install Debian right in the beginning.
I do not recommend installing other OSs and then shifting to Debian at a
later point of time.

Debian comes in three flavors - stable, testing, unstable. More info on
choosing the distribution that is right for you can be found at

http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/debian_choosing_distribution.html

> Where can I get resources to grasb the basic philosiphy of Debian.
> What is /etc /var etc directory mean. Why Debian has so many
> directories instead of one? What's the information in the respective
> directory?

The placement of various files follow something called FHS (File
Hierarchy Standard). Wikipedia has some info about FHS at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sbin

Google can give you more info on FHS.

However, if you have more questions of this sort, I recommend

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593270690/102-2676064-3112127?v=glance&n=283155

which is an excellent book titled "The Debian System: Concepts and
Techniques" and written by Martin F. Krafft*
*
raju

--
http://kamaraju.googlepages.com/cornell-bazaar