Re: Sarge nits: console resized, kernel vga parameter over-ridden, and dead keys.

Incoming from Justin Guerin:
> s. keeling wrote:
>
> > Hi.  I have three niggling little problems I'm hoping someone can help
> > me with.  I'm running stock Sarge on a Dell Inspiron 4000 with
> > xserver-xfree86 (ATI Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02)), stock kernel
> > 2.6.8-2-686.
> >
> >   - At boot, my console window is resized down to a smaller than
> >     full-screen box inside a black border.  How can I eliminate that?
> >     Is this vesafb related, and what's the simplest solution for
> >     fixing or disabling it?  Once X starts, it (correctly) takes up
> >     the full screen again, until I kill X.
>
> I believe this is due to your vga=x parameter.  More on that below.
>
> >   - Part way through the boot sequence, something in
> >     /etc/init.d/console.sh (I assume) overrides my kernel command line
> >     parameter "vga=2".  How can I disable this?

I first saw this (and learned to loath it) on SuSE I think.  Shouldn't
there be some parameter in /etc/default that tells console.sh NOT to
fsck with my kernel command line?!?  Why do I have a framebuffered
console?!?  I never asked for that!

> I'm unfamiliar with the vga=2 mode.  What is it supposed to be?  I'm

With traditional, non-framebuffered, X vga=N tells the kernel to
display 80x25, or some variation thereof, like 40 lines, & etc.  Try
"vga=ask".

Damn.  Framebuffer was a brilliant hack that made X usable on
unsupported hardware.  Now framebuffer is invoked by default,
whether it's needed or not?  How do I tell it to use traditional,
non-framebuffered console?  I neither need nor want framebuffered
ANYTHING.

Thanks Justin.

- -