Re: Proposed change for subscriptions...

"Steve Lamb" <grey@dmiyu.org> said on Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:56:25 -0800 (PST):
> Tim Connors said:
> > And I get 4 easily
> > detected spam/erroneous subscribe messages in one page of headers.
> > Since I go through the list with basically my hand on the delete key
> > as I watch the subject lines scroll by anyway, that causes me not very
> > much noticable pain.
>
>     From my side it does cause problems.  Spam gets through, people reply to
> it or the AOL junk and now I'm left with "ok, which is legit and which
> isn't?"  I could delete it but now I've also got to retrain 2 bayes DBs.
>  Spamassassin's and Thunderbird's.  Even worse is the spam that gets by
> d.o's spam filters, my SA setup and TBird's bayes filters.  I've gotta
> notice it and retrain that.  It is that last catagory which would be
> eliminated by the simple control of a subscription.
>
>     I agree, if you're just concerned with the black and white "delete or
> not" hey, not that big of a problem.  But with active efforts to poison
> bayesian filters going on a lot of people aren't finding it just that
> simple.

I think it would would work much easier for you to direct all email
with debian list headers to not go through your filters at all.  That
way your filters don't get poisoned.  Then you can go back to
delete-or-not?  The quantities of spam you get through the debian
lists is likely to be much much smaller than your regular spam, and if
it ends up in your list folder without being filtered, then it doens't
cause much of a problem there.