Re: Hard disk failure?

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:52:33AM +0100, Jim MacBaine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> one of my hard drives seems to be dying.  To me as a layman this looks
> as if the disk should be returned to the shop where I bought it.  Is
> this right?
>
> ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/40 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x3/11/04
> ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> ata1: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }

It is most likely that the drive is dying.

> Shouldn't the md driver kick mark this drive as faulty and kick it out
> of the array? After I noticed the error in the syslog, I had to mark
> it faulty manually with mdadm.

Well, it's not completely dead yet.  The error has to get to
the md driver before the disk fails.  Although the message says
"UncorrectableError", Linux will in fact retry it a while before
reporting the error to md.  If it eventually succeeds, the drive is not
marked failed.