Re: Are pre-2.6.15 kernels incompatible with udev?

On Sun Feb 12 23:10 , Paul Dwerryhouse <paul@dwerryhouse.com.au> sent:

>On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:02:47PM +0000, David Jarvie wrote:
>> I have updated my etch installation with the latest updates, which include
>> kernel 2.6.15 and udev. I find now that when I boot up an older
(customised)
>> 2.6.12 kernel, X fails to start up because it can't find the
>> device /dev/psaux which is used for the mouse. Can somebody tell me how I
can
>> run my older kernel with etch and udev?
>
>At a guess, udev won't start at all when it sees the older kernel, and
>instead your system is using the real /dev directory from your root
>filesystem.
>
>You'll have to create /dev/psaux manually - use the MAKEDEV script (cd
>/dev ; /sbin/MAKEDEV misc)

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but it sounds as if it will work -
thanks. But presumably if I want to swap between a udev kernel and a non-udev
one, I'll have to recreate any missing device files every time I step back to
the non-udev system?

--
David Jarvie.