Re: Hardware RAID, software RAID, 3ware 9550SX, level 1 vs. level 5

On Friday 27 January 2006 5:44 pm, Oliver Lupton wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:33:54 +0100
>
> Stephan Seitz <nur-ab-sal@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hm, are you sure? Mirroring is RAID1. RAID10 means, that you have one
> > RAID0 array mirrored at another one. Since you need three disks for a
> > RAID5, I thought RAID50 would mean a RAID5 array over at least three
> > RAID0 arrays (each with at least two disks, so RAID50 should need at
> > least 6 disks).
>
> As I understand it, and wikipedia agrees with me, RAID 50 is the same as
> RAID 5+0. Or a RAID 0 array of RAID 5 arrays. I *think* that the term
> specifically means a RAID 0 or RAID 5's rather than vice versa.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -ol

I stand corrected... brain fart.

The raid level I meant to suggest is called 51... it is essentially two raid 5
arrays combined in raid 1 form.  I don't know if this is achievable in pure
software or if it would require two raid5 hardware controllers and software
raid1.  There is also raid 6 that will protect from multiple drive failures
at a higher utilization... unfortunately this is unachievable in software as
of yet due to the massive number of XOR operations used to achieve the
redundancy... and the controllers that support it are not cheap.
--
Joe