Re: Branded Servers that support Debian GNU/Linux

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 01:41:42PM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Rishi wrote:
> > Already did that and they said that Debian isn't certified, however,
> > it may work.
>
> Sure they say that.
>
> > That's why I thought I'd try the Debian User Community and check if
> > there are servers that support Debian Sarge for at least (a) disk
> > controllers and (b) network card.
>
> That's what you have to ask the vendor. Do not ask for support or if Debian
> works but ask for detailed hardware specs: means, telling you the model of
> the 'chips' (not vendor hardware names) used and not just some marketing bla
> bla.

When they said Debian isn't certified, did you ask them what operating
systems other than Windows they do certify?

If their statement was just a veiled way of saying they don't want you
to use anything other than Windows, then personally I would go elsewhere
on principle.

If, on the other hand, they do support something reasonable, then
there is a pretty good chance it can be made to work with Debian
also, and it is at least worth the effort of checking their hardware
compatability piece by piece.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com