Re: Prepare Window XP laptop for Debian Linux

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:02:23 -0500
"Samuel Gabriel" <sgabriel@emoneytran.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I was wondering what are the steps that I have to make to prepare my Windows
> XP laptop for a new install of Debian Linux. I have a PM1.8GHZ with 1.5GB of
> Ram and 60GB HDD divided into two partitions 10 and 30 GB respectively. I
> have left 20 Gb for the linux partition. Any references or links will be
> appreciated.
>

> Thanks
>

> Samuel Gabriel
> www.eMoneyTran.com
> Mailto:sgabriel@emoneytran.com

Just boot of the Debian CD and type 'linux26' (without the quotes) at the prompt. This will get you the basic install (is better, especially if you are new to linux) with a 2.6 kernel which should work better with newer hardware. If something doesn't work you can still try 'expert' and other options as suggested in the other post. As for partitioning you need at least a / partition and a swap partition. More info: http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/apb.html.en

You might want to check the whole document: http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)