Re: Jerky PS/2 Mouse W/ 2.6 Kernel (Again)

On Saturday 28 January 2006 02:37, Adam Porter wrote:
> > Actually, I just posted.  Within the past hour I just got it going with
> > 2.6.15.  But now I can't get sound to work (it seems to see the onboard
> > audio and not the Soundblaster I was using) and I'm having problems with
> > the scroll wheel in Firefox.
>
> Is the kernel not loading the Soundblaster modules, or is it a userspace
> problem?  Are you using ALSA?  Have you run alsaconf?
>
> You might need to set the x-axis mapping in your xorg.conf to fix the
> scroll wheel.

I waited until I knew I had something until posting.  Basically, I had a few
problems and, since it was still new, considered it a learning experience.  I
re-installed Sarge from the net install disc and upgraded to Unstable (when I
tried the installer in Unstable, it said it was going to auto-partition the
drives, which I did not want to mess with, so I just started with Sarge and
upgraded).  Then I installed the stock 2.6.15-k7 kernel, added KDE, and tried
that.  No more jumpy mouse (although scrolling up with the scroll wheel in
KDE sometimes selects an item in the window!).

I also pulled the sound card to use on another system and re-enabled the sound
on the mobo.  I figured I wasn't using this particular system for anything
high end, so the onboard sound was find.  So now that's working fine.  I'm
down to 3 small problems, which i may post for help when I have time:

1) Kopete won't install without libmeanwhile, which is a virtual package and
not available (figure it's a "Sid" thing).
2) When I scroll up (as mentioned) with the scroll wheel, sometimes it selects
an item as it starts scrolling.
3) I have a limited number of styles KDE can use and the one I prefer (RiscOS)
seems to be installed, but is not available.

They're not big items.  I've already posted about the one significant problem
I'm having.

Hal