Re: Re: "RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0"

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 12:00:04PM +0800, r wrote:
> well i have been having this problem for 1 year. the computer will only install windows and not linux ,macintosh?this image contains a linux kernel-i think which reconfigures the boot setup. i have partially erased this RAMDISK image but will apreciate any suggestions as many files are write-protected i can only run linux from a live cd but not install it onto HDD.I have brought this matter to attn of MICROSOFT,DELL and McAfee and they all think i am nuts

What you do depends on your financial resources and whether you want
to save the existing file and operating system.

If you want to save the stuff on disk, have a few dollars to spend and
don't care to have a dual boot system, then buy another disk,
disconnect the existing disk, install the new empty disk, and install Debian
on the new disk. With the old disk powered down and disconnected, you
have a lot of wriggle room for making mistakes, and correcting them.

I have heard that Dell does weird things in hardware. It can be hard
to work around some 'feature' that they won't tell you about. Or perhaps
your diagnosis is mistaken. Computer error messages can be very misleading.
This list concerns the Debian GNU Linux distribution. If you have a hardware
problem there are probably better places than here to find help. (Of course,
we all do hardware, but doing it is much easier than giving useful advice.)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net