Re: no sound from alsa

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:56:12 -0500
"[KS]" <lists04@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Majors, Jason wrote:
> >>~$ /etc/init.d/alsa-utils stop
> >>~$ rm /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
> >>~$ /etc/init.d/alsa-utils start
> >
> > Thanks. It works!
> >

> Nice to hear that it works. Now I have a question for those with better
> knowledge of alsa: Why do I have to do this? What does asound.state have
> in it that makes the sound muted before deleting it? Is it that alsaconf
> is not able to update asound.state and the sound remains muted?

well cat /var/lib/alsa/asound.state shows a nicely formatted configuration file that appears to enumerate all the possible controls for the sound system including the ranges of different "sliders" and names of different controls. perhaps the format of that file has changed? just a thought.

Interestingly, for me, the change to 2.6.15 solved my continued inability to handle alsa. that and enabling dmixer plugin has put all my sound a-right after a long time of constant fiddling. go figure.

oh, and no, I didn't have to mess with asound.state.