Newbie needs help with LAN set up

  First off, I am a newbie in Linux and networking. I have two computers, both about four years old and both have built in Ethernet and LAN support. One runs ubuntu ant other sarge. The one with sarge connected to the Internet with dial-up modem. Both works perfectly. I want to hook the two computers together to be able to share printers, scanners and the Internet. Because I have little understanding about setting up a LAN, I am following a tutorial, I found on the Internet. So far this is what I have done. I bought a crossover wire and hooked up the computers. I tested the one with ubuntu installed with the "ifconfig eth0" command and was confirmed that the eth0 works. The one with sarge installed however doesn't recognize the eth0 interface. I get the following message:
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
Now, I don't know how to proceed.
If someone with good knowledge about these issues could kindly help me with this problem, I would be very thankful.
Regards,
J. Mak