Re: Photo collection management

On Tuesday, 17 January 2006 at 11:22:52 +0100, Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> Couple of days ago I decided  (evidently too late!) that the amount of
> pictures on CD-ROMs  and on my disks has attained  critical mass and I
> no  longer   am  able   to  get  any   orientation  whatsover   in  my
> pictures. That's probably the moment when most other people also think
> about finally  starting to use some collection  management software. I
> spent  couple of  days looking  but haven't  find anything  that would
> really suit my needs, that is:
>
> 1. Possibility of cataloguing my old CD-ROMs without the need of copying
>    them to disk.
> 2. No need to rename any files.
> 3. Possibility to read and write EXIF and IPTC data (and really use them in
>    cataloguing pictures)
>
> I guess that's  it for now. I would be very  grateful if anyone shared
> his or her experiences in a similar case.

I haven't tried this, but it strikes me you might be able to modify
qdig, the one-file gallery script to do this.  You'd need to enable it
to identify the CDs by whatever ID number CDs have, and to mod the code
(or perhaps just the setup segment) to use a 'qdig-files' directory on
your hard drive, presumably one subdirectory per CD.  I don't think it
would be wildly difficult, on the basis of my experience fiddling around
with the qdig code in the past.  If you do try this, I'm sure qdig-user
list will be interested in your efforts.

Just a fall-back option in case nobody comes up with a better idea.

--
richard