Kernel for Dell 6850 Quad-Dualcore-HT (16 CPU), 8GB RAM server?

Hello

I have to install Linux on this pretty cool server described in the
subject but sadly all tried kernels fails with Softlockups, messages
that only 8 CPUs are supported, not detecting the full 8GB of RAM or the
RAID controller or just halting without any error message.  As Dell only
supports RedHat I wonder if anybody here has ever installed Debian on
such a server and can provide a kernel config (2.6 preferred)?

(

bye,

-christian-