Re: system requirements for debian

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 13:57 +0000, Bob Hynes wrote:
> I have debian running on a 500Mhz box with 256MB ram. It's pretty
> slow...slower than windows would be. Is there anyone who know what I
> could be doing to speed things up? turning off services, adding ram? I'm
> also considering tying another version of Linux, but maybe this box is
> just too slow at 500Mhz?

To follow up on what the others have written:

What, exactly, is slow?  Video refresh, or the disk (program and
data file loading)?

What "desktop" are you using?  Modern versions of GNOME & KDE need
modern h/w.  xfce might be a better

Is your disk system optimized?  Run this command as *root*:
    hdparm /dev/hda | grep IO_support
You should see something like this:
    # hdparm /dev/hda | grep IO_support
     IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Passivity is one of the tools of authoritarianism."
Pope John Paul 2