Re: who is r/w-ing my hdd?

Matthias Pfeifer:
> Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote
> > Matthias:
> >>
> >> I am searching the source of some every 2/3 seconds
> >> happening harddisk read/write operation.
> >
> > If you are using a journalling file system like ext3, this is normal and
> > shouldn't stress your hard disk.
>
> How is that?

See man 8 mount, search for "options for ext3". The journal is
committed to disk every 5 seconds by default. As someone else already
suggested, Linux is a multitasking system and a lot may be happening
behind your back. Just think about syslogd.

Is the frequent hard disk access you are noticing taking very long or
is it noisy? In my case, I just see the disk LED flashing for a very
short time. If this LED wasn't directly above my keyboard (this is a
laptop), I wouldn't have noticed this behaviour. So maybe you are
seeing something else.

> And how does that correspond to my
> observation that it must be the x-window-system
> that is taking a role in this situation? Can
> you explain, please?

No, sorry. Probably one of us is wrong. ;-)

J.
--
All participation is a myth.
[Agree]   [Disagree]