Re: Restoring cyrus21-imapd [80% solved]

On 1/15/06, Jim MacBaine <jmacbaine@gmail.com> wrote:

> While I have a recent (~10 hrs old) backup of the mailspool in
> /var/spool/cyrus, I do not have a backup of /var/lib/cyrus.  Is there
> an easy way to restore the mailboxes file and the other database
> files, maybe even quote information from the data in /var/spool/cyrus?

Ok, imapd is up and running again, all mailboxes and mails are back.

First I reinstalled the cyrus21 packages and inserted the record for
the cyrus system user to /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow again.

Then rsync'ed the latest snapshot of /var/spool/cyrus from the backup
machine back to the imap server ran cyradm as user cyrus and created
all mailboxes manually:

cm user.jim
cm user.jim.outbox
cm user.alice
cm user.alice.outbox

Then, still as user cyrus, I ran "cyrreconstruct -f -r user" and it
recreated all mailbox files. After a restart of the cyrus master all
users could access their mails again.

Unfortunately the message status information was lost. All messages
are new and unread now and I can not see which messages I have
answered. I might get over that loss, but it would still be nice if I
could get those information back.

Regards,
Jim