Re: Loadable kernel modules not unloadable

I have a completely different use for the parport.  However, 'why' is
irrelevant.  If modules are only loadable, where's the flexibility?
What if you're fiddling around with various PCI cards or some such
experimentation?  My application was previously run on RH9 and it was
easy to rmmod the lp, parport_pc and parport modules, then load my
custom module and not have any problems.  However, under Debian with
the more current parport modules, something odd occurs (which I have as
yet not determined) such that after unloading lp, etc. then loading
custom module, the parallel port's status port is inaccessible.  I've
fiddled around with the various control ports for ECP and EPP settings
but to no avail.  So, I decided to do this the "right way" as should
have been done originally - that is, have the system boot up without
the lp, parport_pc, parport modules but could not determine how to do
it under Sarge's rulership short of the previously mentioned
abominations - abominations because they either do not work or they are
a real "hack" of a way to do it!

Any ideas?