/ suddenly Read-only

hi.

For mysterious reasons a Dual-boot (Windows/Linux) Toshiba 5105-s901 running Debian/GNU 3.1 Sarge 2.6.8 (with updates) suddenly fails to mount read-write the root partition during boot. For about 3 months *after* i had installed a new Toshiba 100GiB drive, the system has worked beautifully. The system is not partitioned in my traditional / /usr /var /home /tmp scenario, and instead uses one ext3 file system for / /usr /var /tmp, and another partition for /home. Manual fsck -fv /dev/hdXN of the root partition shows the drive to be "perfectly healthy." Booting from KNOPPIX, blasting /etc/mtab experimentally, and fsck'ing reveals nothing.

The fstab looks good to me, and has not been changed since i installed the new hard drive. I did install autofs and configured it to watch over /mnt. Nothing can write to the drive, and thusly, diagnostic information is available only while booting. A great many startup scripts exit on the error: "Read-only file system."

Any ideas on what to do to fix?

i'm stymied.

have a nice day.yad
jdpf