Re: SOLVED: New kernel unable to mount/see a whole HD

J.F. Gratton wrote:
solved, but not at my full satisfaction...

I compiled the kernel with initrd support and it went fine, using a
2.6.12-10 config file.

I therefore voided one of the main gain I wanted by building my own
kernel: getting rid of initrd. I still got my own kernel at the time I
wanted (ie: not waiting for the distro to issue one), but hey.. one
cannot win everywhere :)

This is something I've wondered about for a while watching various kernel compile threads. What is the purpose of getting rid of initrd? What is the advantage (or dis-, I suppose) of this?