Re: How to play these files on Debian (Sarge) (WAS:Re: How can I play avi, wmv, mov videos on a standalone DVD player?)

Chinook wrote:
Marc Shapiro wrote:

Robert Glueck wrote:

I'd like to play video clips in .avi, .wmv and .mov format
on a standalone DVD player that's hooked up to a standard
TV set.

I'd like to play them on Sarge. Just today I clicked on a .mov file and was asked if I wanted to use the default program (gmplayer). I said yes, but after it DL'd the file it complained that it could not find the proper codec (I don't remember, now, which codec it was looking for). Is there some place to get the proper codecs to make these work. If so, where is it? If not, why give a default player that can not actually play the file?

You might both look at VLC in your package app, or see
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I just tried it on the .mov file from above. The video played just fine, but there was no audio at all. I checked the preferences, made sure that audio was enabled and the sound was turned all the way up. Still no sound. I normally do get sound on this box. Is there something else that I am missing? If you need more information, just let me know.

Marc