excludes list

Next step: excludes.

In cloning my system I want to capture everything that is important if I need to "rollback" to a clone, but I don't want to waste time with data that is not needed.

For example, I might exclude anything within /tmp [?], /proc, /home/<usr>/tmp but not /dev, /etc, /var, /home (other than <usr>/tmp and known fluff), /root and /opt.

Been googling around for more than over generalizations but have not done so well yet :-)

Any comments, urls, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee C

PS: I'm well acquainted with HFS+ on my Mac, but stepping easy with ext3 :-)