Re: Locating Debian kernel .config

Robert Kopp <iconoklastic@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- "D. Michael McFarland" <dmmcf@uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
>> I've installed the package linux-source-2.6.14 with the intention
>> of building a kernel with the stock Debian configuration.  However,
>> I've been unable to locate the .config file corresponding to
>> linux-image-2.6.14-2-amd64-k8.  According to
>> /usr/share/doc/linux-source-2.6.14/README.Debian,
>>
> Do I understand the question?

It's hard for me to say, but I appreciate your response.

> Anyhow, with the 2.6.8 kernel, at least, there is a "config" file
> (no .)  directly under /boot, and I believe this contains the
> default options. I hope this isn't being omitted in later kernel
> sources.

It seems this file is not contained in linux-source-*.  I expect it
would be installed along with linux-image-*, and to be in the source
package for linux-image-*; I haven't downloaded that (yet) because it
appears to contain a copy of the kernel sources.  (It is this
inclusion of the kernel sources that I think is new behavior.)  It
seems foolish to download nearly 50 MB of source I already have just
to get a small config file.  I now suspect the intent is that someone
wanting to build from source with the Debian config *should* install
the source package for linux-image-* (rather than linux-source-*), but
if so, this could be better documented.

> But it seems that you could use it as a starting point for
> configuring a later 2.6 kernel; not that many options will have
> changed.

This was the first thing I tried, but quite a lot was introduced
between 2.6.8 and 2.6.14.  "make oldconfig" asked about many new
features, not all of which have help available, and it's very unlikely
I'd make all the same choices as were made for the Debian version of
2.6.14.  I'd much prefer to take advantage of the Debian expertise,
which is embodied in the config file.  Hence, my interest in that
file.

Best regards,
Michael