Re: usb hard drive changes from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb with sarge

Jason Dunsmore wrote:

> once in a while (can be every couple days or every couple weeks), my
> usb hard drive changes from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb, and i see this in
> dmesg:
<snip>
> after that happens, i have to remount my usb hard drive under /dev/sdb.
>  after a reboot, it's at /dev/sda again. this causes all kinds of
> problems, because i back up to that drive, so if it changes and i don't
> catch it, my root drive gets maxed out. i'm using the prebuilt
> 2.6.8-2-k7 kernel with sarge.
>
> any ideas how i can fix this?

I have been using a couple of different usb sticks with kernels 2.6.12 -
2.6.14 without any problems (on an intel platform).
Maybe you should upgrade your kernel. A number of usb related issues have
been resolved since 2.6.8.

Best regards
Jan
--
** Do not use the reply-to address. It'll end up in the trash can
** Mail me at: janATschledermann.or"REMOVE_THIS"g