SMP kernel - modem support

I have a dual processor system running sarge with an SMP kernel. It cannot find my modem. When I run the system with a uniprocessor kernel, the modem works fine. The SMP kernel I am using is 2.6.8-2-686-smp. What I would like to know is: does this mean I need to compile a kernel with modem support [if that makes sense] or are SMP kernels inherently unable to work with modems? Or, if this is not the right place to ask these questions, where should I try? Regards - Joe