sarge security upgrade wedged on smsclient

I've had various problems with this upgrade in the last few days,
all having to do with smsclient.  Yesterday I tried again, using script to
make a log so that I could report the exact messages that occurred.

As usual, I used aptitude interactuively to do the routine security updates.
I typed
and it downloaded the new lists of packages, as usual.
and it told me how much disk space would be involved, as usual. I have lots.
I typed
and I got a list of things to be done to packages, as usual.
I typed another
to start the updates.  But now it's not business as usual.
Instead of acomplishing anything, I get the messages

> Apt errors
> E: I wasn't able to locate file for the smsclient package. This might mean
>    you need to manually fix this package.
> E: Internal error: couldn't generate list of packages to download

Aptitude stops at this point.  Just in case it's still busy but looking inactive
(I have a slow machine), I let it go on for four hours and nothing else happens.

Trying to remove it by hand (because in the last few days it had been listed
as a package to be removed because nothing depended on it, I get

> topoi:/home2/hendrik# apt-get remove smsclient
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: The package smsclient needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
> topoi:/home2/hendrik#

Trying to install it by hand (because in the last few days it has once mentioned
to me that the package is so broken that I'll have to install it before I can
remove it gives

> topoi:/home2/hendrik# apt-get install smsclient
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: The package smsclient needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
> topoi:/home2/hendrik#

So I can't seem to get anything else done.  I cannot install or uninstall, and
it won't proceed until the matter is resolved.

In conclusion, my complete /etc/apt/sources.list file, including all the
commented out stuff from previous years of Debian: