Re: lower case character when caps lock is on

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 03:11:37PM +0530, H S Rai wrote:
> Today at 3:19am -0500 Edward Shornock wrote:
>
> >   What charset/keymap are you using?
>
> How to know that.

You can find out the charset with

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I'm not sure how to find out the keymap setting (other than knowing what
may have been selected during the installation).

> >   If anyone knows the correct solution, instead of running the loadkeys
> >   command from .bashrc
>
> I used your tip. Atleast I was getting the things working
> :-)

Glad to hear it was helpful.  I'd still like to get it working the
"proper" way though..
.
It's odd that it doesn't seem to be a common problem since I've never
seen anyone complain about it not working (until I read your post).

<shrug>

Maybe a bug *should* be filed against console-common
after all, since using 'loadkeys' to load the keymap resolves
the problem for two of us in completely different parts of the world.

I wonder why no one else seems to experience this.  It occurs
on a couple-day old installation of Debian Sid with the following
versions of console-(data|common) installed:

ii  console-common                     0.7.55
Basic infrastructure for text console configuration
ii  console-data                       2002.12.04dbs-52
Keymaps, fonts, charset maps, fallback tables for console-tools

(I'd like to try to get input from others about this before I file a bug
against "console-common" which includes the file /etc/init.d/keymap.sh).

> Thanks a lot,

You're quite welcome. :)