realplayer 10 hassles

Using RealPlayer 10 and it won't output sound anymore, just video, when trying *.ram feeds from websites.

If I try playing an ogg file, realplayer dies.

I didn't have time to check it out when it first stopped and now it's been a while, so I can't remember what else I had been doing when it stopped (which might give a clue why).

I re-installed it with synaptic, and when that didn't work I re-installed it direct from the download, but nothing worked.

I'm using gnome. Is it having trouble with my sound drivers?

ta
Adam