Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

Bruce Hohl wrote:
>> > It's not that simple. A lot of newbies dive into testing or unstable
>> > because they "have" to have the newest stuff, then they don't know
>> > what to do when their system breaks.
>
>> So it's Debian's *fault* that newbies whine when they make no effort
>> to read the Debian web site?
>
> Gentlemen:
> My original question has morphed into something other than I intended.
> Firstly, I did not whine about Debian.  I simply stated IMHO OpenOffice
> 2 is an important piece of software, important enough to get into
> Testing ASAP and provide debs for Sarge.  No one has to agree with my
> *opinion*.  It is simply feedback from someone who has used Linux for
> three years (I'm only a newbie to Debian).

I don't see this as a problem.  It is an interesting thread.

> Secondly, I did in fact make an effort to determine if I could get
> OpenOffice onto Sarge easily (i.e. from a repository or deb packages -
> these options do not yet appear available).  More and more I want Linux
> to be easy to use, stable (as in Sarge), open, and have good software -
> this led me to Debian.  I "need" OO Base because I need an MS Access
> like application for Linux, and I need it now!  Access has been around
> for like 10+ years.

I'd still like to know what, in business terms if you like, you can do
with this, that you cannot do with e.g. LAMP.

Bottom line is the realisation that the price you pay for the stability
of Sarge is the fact that you don't get all the latest software in the
distro until the next release of the distro.  To some, the stability is
priceless.  :)