Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 02:36:05AM -0700, Scott wrote:
> Marc Wilson wrote:
> >.... if normal Debian practices are being followed, security fixes
> >are backported to stable, rather than new and untested versions being
> >packaged for stable.
>
> Now that you mention it, Ubuntu used to do this the same way till they
> came to their senses (and after a bajillion user complaints).

You are wrong there. Ubuntu sticks to their guns with versioning for
released distros as far as I am aware. Both debian and ubuntu have been
forced to ship newer firefoxes as security releases, because upstream's
culture is to bundle their security updates with new features in a
single release. It has proven too difficult for the existing security
teams to determine precicely which changes in a very large changeset are
related to the vulnerability, so their hand was forced.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/