Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 02:42:25AM -0700, Scott wrote:
> Robert Brockway wrote:
> > It's normal for the Debian security team to backport changes into
> > the existing code base in Debian.  Thus I expect the Firefox 1.04 to
> > be the vanilla source 1.04 plus backported security fixes.  This is
> > a _good_ thing as it means less changes on an update.  This is one
> > of the strengths of the Debian approach.
>
> Perhaps, but it's also confusing to anyone coming to Debian from
> another Linux distro.

I don't see why: the ship the version they state they do, and fix
security problems as they arise. Very logical to me. If people really
expect either security problems to sit unfixed, then I think they have
been set a pretty low standard by whatever other distro they've come
via.

> Let's just hope they *properly* update the user agent string..

I don't think the UA should be used to describe security patch levels.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/