Re: Sound on Opliplex GX150

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 03:02:40PM -0800, mulvihill@tiscalinet.it wrote:

> Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> > Did the "Analog devices AD1885 Integrated Audio" driver install ok in
> > Windows?
> >
> > Seems like a h/w prob if Windows says its ok but it still won't play.
> >
> > Speakers in right plug?
> > Speakers ok in another computer?
>
> Sorry for the long delay before replying. Yes, the Windows driver did
> install
> OK, the speakers are in the right plug, and they do work in another
> computer.

Does it look ok under control panel -> system -> devices? (i.e. no
yellow question marks)

Does it say this device is working correctly?

Have you tried playing a CD?

> So I have come to the same conclusion as you, that it must be a
> hardware
> problem. I would just buy another sound card and be done with it, but
> this machine has half height PCI slots which complicates matters. I
> might
> try a USB sound card. There are some very cheap ones on ebay but they
> are unbranded so I have no way of knowing in advance whether they
> will work with the linux drivers.
>
> Thanks for the help anyway.

Happy to help. I didn't need to take it apart, it just worked once the
driver from the Dell website was installed. Sorry to hear it was not the
same for you :-(

--
Chris.
======