Re: cannot get into X - after testing dist-upgrade 11-03-05

mailmanmike@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>> Did the keyboard work during the KDE setup?
>
> > I would create a new user and log into KDE as that user, to make
>
>> absolutely sure that the problem is not in your user's settings. (I
>> doubt that's the problem, now, but still, it's an easy test.)
>

>> Assuming the new user has the same problem . . .
>> I'd check the KDE Control Panel / Regional & Accessibility / Keyboard
>> Layout settings.
>>
>> Then I'd google for "kde keyboard" to look for anything interesting.
>> Hopefully others on this list will have better suggestions.
>>
>> --
>> Kent
>

> Thanks again Kent,
> The setup is done entirely with the mouse. I have no way to create a
> new user at this point, with no keyboard.

IIRC, you said earlier that you can log into Gnome without this problem.
So simply log into Gnome (or into console) to create your new user.

I just saw another thread on the list that may be relevant: "keyboard
quit working after kde upgrade, testing". Mike Chandler writes:

>The problem is solve by doing:
>
>#apt-get remove --purge kdm
>#apt-get install kdm

You might want to look at that thread to see if it's the same problem
you're seeing.

--
Kent