Re: cannot get into X - after testing dist-upgrade 11-03-05

On Monday 07 November 2005 08:52 pm, Kent West wrote:
> mailmanmike@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> > Now I have a good mouse, and the nvidia driver is working so X works
> > fine.
> > The problem is now, the keyboard doesn't work at all.
> > It's getting so close, please help me fix the keyboard?
>
> Does the CAPSLOCK key activate the indicator LED?
>
> If you have a ?dm that allows you to log into the console instead of X,
> does the keyboard work in the console?
>
> If you don't have such a ?dm, if you can ssh in from another computer,
> you should be able to kill X/?dm, and then go to the first computer to
> see if the keyboard works in the console.
>
> This will let us know if the keyboard problem is in X, or "deeper" in
> the system.
>
> --
> Kent

Thanks so much Kent....the numlock light is "on" and stays on...you cannot
turn it off. None of the other (caps lock etc) buttons do anything.
(All this in KDE.)

I think it has to do with the "newer" KDE version 3.4.2 which, when I
dist-upgraded caused all the problems here... the reason I think that is I
changed to  the "vesa" driver again, and go into X with Gnome...keyboard
works fine.
So--- the keyboard works fine in Gnome, but not in KDE. I guess that sums it
up.
Ideas?
Thank you very much!