Re: Useful GUI apps on low-mem computers?

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 04:13:10PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 17:20 +0000, Cal Paterson wrote:
> > You could try xfce4 or fluxbox (although fluxbox is slightly more
> > non-intuitive for a novice).
> >
> > You might well need to cut down quite agressivly on unneeded daemons/X
> > programs, but I reckon its possible.  My xfce4 desktop starts up while
> > using about ~86mb of volitile memory, and I've never bothered to
> > really slim that down by much (I have 2gb of ram, so I don't consider
> > it a priority atm).
>
> Is there a way to slim down X.org or XFree 4?
>
> Fewer fonts, maybe?

You can probably use X 3.3.6.  However, IME, X itself is usually not the
problem.  I recently finished setting up an LTSP server and a bunch of
thin clients for my church.  The clients are as low end as Pentium Pro
200 MHz w/ 64 MB RAM.  LTSP uses X.org, IIRC, on the clients.  This is
not really an issue.  Where you run into problems is the heavyweight DEs
and apps, like GNOME, KDE, OOo, Mozilla, etc.

Programs that are comiled against xlib or xaw (I forget which) tend to
respond very well, even on low end hardware.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto