Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Em Seg, 2005-11-07 às 10:04 -0500, Paul Smith escreveu:
> %% Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com> writes:
>
>   tl> Wow!!! So Solaris kernel is generally technically superior... and
>   tl> what a post.
>
> Of course, that's nowhere close to what I said.  The fact that you
> summed it up this way makes me wonder if you're a troll.
>

> I _DID_ say that in a few specific areas, most particularly dealing with
> very large enterprise deployments (how many systems out there will even
> have access to, much less need to mount, >1300 NFS partitions at the
> same time?), Solaris is more reliable and robust than Linux in my
> experience (with Red Hat Enterprise Linux--I didn't make this decision
> and had, and have, no say in it so...).

Is NIS reliable?
It seems to me that NIS is being obsoleted, since using a secure LDAP is
much more secure. How stands Solaris when using a PAM/LDAP solution.

Is NFS pre v4 reliable?
I don't think so, it has a large number of security holes.

So the major advantages of Solaris is better support of obsolete
systems, which are only being used because Solaris does not support
the better, modern solutions?
Seems a little circular to me.

Michel.

--