> >>auto eth1
> >>iface eth1 inet dhcp
> >>name Wireless LAN card
> >>wireless-essid CCCP
> >>wireless-key *************************
> >>

> >maybe comment out the eth0 stanza?
> >
> >#auto eth0
> >#iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >

> Actually, I have had the system set up that way. It doesn't matter. I
> think there is something else at hand here.
>
> Curtis

Are you using testing or unstable? This sounds as if it may be related
to a similar problem I have and for which I started a thread here some
days ago. I've been in touch with the maintainer for wireless-tools but
there is no solution as yet.

Briefly, there seems to be some package in unstable (and probably in
testing) which breaks wireless connectivity for me. After a dist-upgrade
I find that iwconfig shows the essid to be "tsunami". (No idea where
that comes from.) I can reset it to the correct name manually and the
card then appears to be connected but it does not in fact work. I have
tried restarting ifupdown but it makes no difference. The only solution
then is to reinstall everything.

I have no idea which is the offending package but it is not
wireless-tools or pcmcia-cs, since upgrading these does not break
things. This bug, whatever it is, has caused me to reinstall the system
on my laptop 4 times!

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian