Update on mysterious change in X authorization behavior

Marty wrote:
On one of my Sarge systems, if X access control is enabled, i.e.
"xhost" yields the following output:

    access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect

then if I su to root, X apps now start normally, as if I had previously
executed "xhost +".  All my sarge systems are up to date, but only one
exhibits this new behavior.  The only difference I see related to X
behavior, is that the changed system uses gdm instead of kdm.

The others still output the following error message after su'ing to root:

I'm not aware of any recent configuration changes that could account for
the change.  Since this is a change in security-related  behavior I am more
anxious than usual to get to the bottom of it.  Thanks for any clues about
what may have changed, and how.

Acting on a hunch, I replaced gdm with kdm and the problem seems to have
disappeared, so I guess that's my workaround and as far as I will likely
go with it.  What's still puzzling is that the current Sarge version of gdm
is date Mar 31, 2005, but this change in behavior is most likely very recent.