Re: Stock vs. Debian kernel sources

On søndag 30 oktober 2005, 06:52, John O'Hagan wrote:
> What do I need to be aware of if I use stock sources?

I think I remember somewhere around when 2.6 released that Linus said
something about him not seeing it as his role to provide end-user
kernels. That's for distributors to do. I haven't been following the
developments since but since then, and since not needing very
specialized patches anymore, I've built my own kernels, but built them
on kernel-source packages rather than kernel.org releases.

If you like being on the edge, you may be bitten. But OTOH, by being on
the edge, you get the experience that's needed to provide stable
kernels for the rest of us, so, by all means do it. I think it boils
down to that, the issue is simply that unexpected things may happen,
but if you are equipped to deal with it, you're making everyone a
favor.

Cheers

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Programmer / Astrophysicist / Ski-orienteer / Orienteer / Mountaineer