Re: thunderbird and mail from the system

Michael Marsh on 17/05/05 13:18, wrote:
On 5/17/05, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

Is it possible to set up Thunderbird to pull up the mail from my mailbox
on my debian box?

Thunderbird calls this a "Unix movemail" account.  I have one set up
for cron output.

I am trying to set up thunderbird to get my mailbox mail, but I get a message so:

"Unable to create lock file /var/mail/adam.lock. For movemail to work it is necessary to create lock files in the mail spool directory. On many systems, this is best accomplished by making the spool directory mode 01777."

Currently, /var/mail has these permissions:

adam@gondor:~$ ls -la /var/mail/
total 20
drwxrwsr-x   2 root mail 4096 2005-10-30 06:27 .
drwxr-xr-x  14 root root 4096 2005-09-08 12:34 ..
-rw-rw----   1 adam mail 7415 2005-10-30 06:27 adam
-rw-------   1 mail mail 3166 2005-03-10 00:31 mail

I guess I'll do what Thunderbird advises, but I would like to know what the implications are, and why Thunderbird thinks its better to configure the system like this rather than how Debian does.

Thanks
Adam