Re: Y or I, N or O

Joseph Haig wrote:
> --- Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 10:49 +0100, Joseph Haig wrote:
>>
>>>When upgrading with "apt-get upgrade" I get the option to install a
>>
>>new
>>
>>>configuration file or keep the existing one.  The options are
>>>
>>>    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
>>>    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
>>>
>>>Now, I know that with either Y or I and N or O, both old and new
>>>versions of the file are saved, but it doesn't say which!  Which of

>>>or O do I need to use to save a copy of the new file?
>>
>>Either.
>>
>>If you choose Y, the existing configuration file will be saved as
>><filename>.dpkg-old and replaced by the package's version.
>>
>>If you choose N, the existing configuration file will be left
>>untouched
>>and the new version will be saved in the same directory under the
>>name
>><filename>.dpkg-dist (or <filename>.dpkg-new).
>

> Thanks.  But if this is the case, what do I and O do?

They decide which one is going to have the original name, right now.

i.e. if you hit I, the the new one will be called <filename> and the old
one will be called <filename>.dpkg-old, and if you start the program
without changing anything (which is very likely to happen as most of the
programs with global configuration files are daemons which are restarted
immediately), then the package maintainer's configuration will be used
immediately.

--Ken Bloom