Re: absurdly simple LAN problem

On (16/09/05 12:13), Anthony Campbell wrote:
> Under LAN IP setting, the entry for "Use Router as DHCP server" is
> ticked. The help file says:
>
> Use Router As DHCP Server
>
> The MR814v2 router is set up by default as a DHCP (Dynamic Host
> Configuration Protocol) server, which provides the TCP/IP configuration
> for the all the computers that are connected to the router.
>
> Unless told to change these settings by your ISP, leave the Use Router
> As DHCP Server check box checked.
>
> If your ISP has you clear this check box, you must have another DHCP
> server within your network or else you must manually configure the
> computer.
>
>     * Starting IP Address: This box specifies the first of the
>     * contiguous addresses in the IP address pool. 192.168.0.2 is the
>     * default start address. Ending IP Address: This box specifies the
>     * last of the contiguous addresses in the IP address pool.
>     * 192.168.0.51 is the default ending address.

I noticed that your IP addresses are .20 and .22 respectively which
given the pool starting address would suggest they've been set manually.
Try editing /etc/network/interfaces to :

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

For the laptop wifi it will probably be eth1

Make sure dhcp3-client is installed on both.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...