Re: Serial ATA Hardware RAID recommendations?

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005, Chris Boot wrote:
> 1. Take 5/6 SATA disks for RAID 5/6/10
> 2. Allow them to be hot-plugged (with or without Jeff Garzik's
> in-progress SATA hotplug patches)
> 3. Do the work in hardware

Then you certainly won't need any patch, as the hotplugging will be done by
the SATA RAID controller :-)

I'd suggest one that handles saf-te enclosures, and a saf-te enclosure
(hotswap bay) to go with it.

> All I've done previously is software RAID 10 which I'm happy with, but
> I'm now building a high-performance database / file server and don't
> want the machine spending time calculating parity and so on.

AFAIK RAID10 requires any parity calculation.  What the hardware controller
will give you is easier hotplugging, better SAF-TE support, and more SATA
ports.  If it is not a good RAID controller, you could easily actually lose
performance in every RAID level.

For RAID 5 and RAID 6, AFAIK if you want good performance you need a damn
good RAID controller, the type that have IOP321 or IOP331 processors at the
very least, and a lot of onboard battery-backed SDRAM in it.

  Henrique Holschuh