RE: ATA 80GB disk recommendation

Bruno Buys wrote:
> To me, simply there is no clear pattern on what brand is good or bad.

Agreed.  Eventually, they all die.  Predicting when "eventually" will arrive is
an exercise left to the reader.  ;-)

I'm now using the best hard drive mobile docks I could afford (vibration
isolation, all-metal construction for conductive cooling, dual fans for
convection cooling, over-temperature alarm) and the drives seem happy:

    http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdetail.cfm?ProductID=DRW115ATABK&mt=

    http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdetail.cfm?ProductID=DRW115SATBK&mt=p

In any case, I back up compulsively -- important data in four places: current
image, nightly tarballs on another drive in the same box, tarballs rsync'd to
another box nightly, and tarballs burned to DVD monthly.

David