Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 04:26:21AM +0800, Heimdall Midgard wrote:
2005/11/4, Yuriy Kuznetsov <yuriy.kuznetsov@gmail.com>:

[trimmed]

I do agree with Lars regarding Solaris being on edge of advanced
technologies. Besides S10 now open sourced (visit www.opensolaris.org,
download and try yourself, also plenty of blogs by different
categories) to community and Sun is planning to work very close with
community developing future releases of Solaris.
I'm not here to say anything against Debian but it's very difficult to
say which one is the best unless you give it a try...

I think it's time we emphasize the fact that Debian is not (just)
Linux. Debian also comes in BSD and GNU/Hurd flavors. If Open Soalries
is free as well as open, you can be sure some develepors are already
working on a Solaris port that will make the claim moot. When such a
thing happens, it would be like claiming Debian is a better OS than
Red Hat.

There is in fact just such a Debian GNU/Solaris project in the works. I
ran across it on OSNews a short while back.

http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/