Re: ATA 80GB disk recommendation

On 19:14, Thu 03 Nov 05, Stephen Patterson wrote:

Is their any reason that you must have an 80 gig hard drive?
You can pick up a larger drive for about the same cost as
some 80 gig drives. To answer your direct question I have
used a Samsung 80 gig drive with Windows without any
problems.

But I must say I also have a Seagate 120 gig, and a Maxtor
120 gig I would take the Seagate over the Maxtor just
because it has a 5 year warranty. In fact the Seagate has
only seen Gnu/Linux and *BSD's It was formated with the
Debian installer has never seen any Windows code if that
makes any difference, its also very easy on the ears.

Saying that I must say that it has a easy life, my machine's
seem to be on 24/7 with good cooling. It crunches RC5-72 and
really does not get a good workout.

On the other hand my Samsung drive is pretty good, its in a
desktop case, the temp according to speedfan are in the 67
degree C range has poor cooling, hot to the touch enough to
burn you and has been in that situation for over a year.
Samsung usually has a three year warranty, and is very good,
mine is the 2 mb buffer cheap version. All these drives are
the ATA version's but I would recommend the Seagates, and
the Samsung to anyone, Maxtor has been touch and go with me
I had a 60 gig drive fail a couple of years ago.

I am sure everyone has a story about _insert drive
manufacture here_ failures. So to keep it simple I would go
for the drive which has the longest warranty, I think that
Seagate fits that bill. So shop around and find the best
deal, and warranty for your drive. Just remember to backup
all vital important data, that way if a drive fails you will
not have lost any important data.

Or in other words GOT BACKUP!

Gnu_Raiz