Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

That statement might be a bit bold, but only a bit. We are examinging it to upgrade from Solaris 9.

It has some new and advanced features that 'I' feel does make it a new flavor of UNIX.The zone feature, the way it allows PRIV's for users and groups, better security methods, the way it watches, reports and fixes itself.
If you are really interested go to:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/index.jsp
Gives an intro. Also read what users say, always the best info there:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/saying.jsp

If you have an x86  machine to spare you can download for free at:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
You might have to register.
As with anything trying for your self will prove its value.
I happen to think Solaris is great. ...having said that I continue (w/ my boss) to be a loud voice for Debian as server s/w.
We have a large public lab that I converted from Solaris 9 on Sunblades to Debian on Pentium 4s.

--
RotBotL

Systems: Servers; Software; Solution.