Re: hosts.allow no efective

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 12:42:14PM +0200, Meni Shapiro wrote:
> i got a problem with /etc/hosts.allow & /etc/host.deny
> I got some rules there BUT i notice what ever i put it is ignored!!!
> the files are not effective ????

First of all, you haven't included hosts.deny. Unless you are
default-denying everything, simply commenting out an allow entry won't
cause the service to be denied.

Secondly, and I'm not 100% on this, but I think only tcp wrapper
programs honour /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny, and apache runs in
standalone mode (not via inetd) by default, at the very least. So, it
would not be using these files anyway.

I would suggest writing some iptables rules to achieve what you want.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/