Re: apt-get vs. dselect

Forget dselect. Debian has moved to aptitude. I think it's very nice. Take a look at the man page. Takes about 5 min to learn. Very handy if you run unstable. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Lijftogt" <mark@rondom.org>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: apt-get vs. dselect

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 11:44:07AM -0800, Paul Yeatman wrote:
Hi all.  I should maybe spend more time in the archives but just
looking for quick responses.

I assume others running Etch noticed the large amount of updates
today.

When I run

apt-get update;apt-get -u dist-upgrade

I get a similar but different set of changes than if I use 'dselect'.

Just curious about this.  For instance, apt-get shows me

245 upgraded, 36 newly installed, 36 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

whereas dselect yields

231 upgraded, 26 newly installed, 49 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

I'm sure there may be as many opinions as colors in the rainbow but
can't help to wonder which is "better".

Thanks,

Paul

Do us all a favour.. and take a look in the archives, or take google and
search for these kind of questions.
It is hardly a matter of "what is better", then "what you find more
handy" or "what you find to work with in a more comfortable way".

--
TC,
,Mark